Skip to main content

Services and Programs


Click the drawers below to learn more about what our Center has to offer.

Our Services help serve undocumented students and their families with essential and supplemental support. 

Our Programs help engage and provide students with the necessary skills and opportunities that are specific to fit undocumented students' needs.


One-on-One Consultations

UC San Diego undergraduate, graduate, and Extension undocumented students may meet with our staff to discuss any topics related to their status. Many students rely on this service for graduate school preparation, travel advice, family concerns, personal guidance, legal rights, and referrals.

Currently all appointments with the program manager, assistant coordinator and immigration attorney are available in-person or remotely. Book your appointment HERE.

Our Center provides a safe space for students to share their concerns and disclose their immigration status to trained staff who understand the complexities of undocumented students. Some common questions we receive from our students are:

  • Can I study abroad? 
  • Is it safe to travel to another state or U.S. territory such as Texas and Puerto Rico?
  • Is my financial aid affected by my immigration status?
  • Can I renew DACA? Is the program  still available?
  • Do I have access to health insurance (SHIP)? 
  • Do I need to accept SHIP if I have MediCal?
  • Do I qualify for CalFresh?
  • How do I get an internship on campus? 
  • I am a DACA recipient, what should I put on a job application?
  • Should I disclose to a potential employer that I would like to be sponsored?
  • Can I work on campus as an undocumented student? 
  • What do I need to consider as I look for off-campus housing?

Immigration Legal Services 

  • Our legal services program offers in-depth immigration consultation, legal advice, and representation for UC San Diego undergraduate, graduate, and Extension students and their immediate family (exclusions apply).
  • Our immigration attorney is available for one-on-one consultations with students either in person or through Zoom.
  • Legal services include but are not limited to:
    • Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA)
      • It is important that you renew your DACA every two years as USCIS no longer notifies you when you need to renew. Although USCIS is not currently adjudicating initial DACA requests, DACA renewals will continue to be processed based on the existing policy. DACA Renewals can even be filed online through the USCIS website.
    • Advance Parole
      • Advance Parole is available to DACA recipients. Advance Parole (AP) is permission granted by the Department of Homeland Security allowing certain noncitizens to temporarily travel outside of the U.S. and return lawfully. Qualifying reasons for traveling abroad with AP include educational, humanitarian, and employment.
    • Special Immigrant Juvenile Status (SIJS) 
      • If you are in the United States, are under 21 years of age, and have been abused, abandoned or neglected by a parent, you may be eligible for Special Immigrant Juvenile (SIJ) classification. If SIJ classification is granted, you may qualify for lawful permanent residency.
    • Adjustment of Status
      • Adjustment of status is the process that you can use to apply for lawful permanent resident status (also known as applying for a Green Card) when you are present in the United States. This means that you may get a Green Card without having to return to your home country to complete visa processing.
  • Students with DACA are highly encouraged by our immigration attorney to meet with him six months prior to expiration.
  • Appointments with our immigration attorney are only available in person or through Zoom. Book your appointment HERE.
  • Many of the students who access these services are Lawful Permanent Residents and U.S. citizens in need of services for themselves or an immediate family member. 
  • Once per quarter we hold presentations that cover immigration topics of relevance to students, such as updates on legislation changes.
  • Undocumented students interested in doing any traveling in the state should make an appointment with our attorney to assess their travel plans.


PACE Fellowship Programs

What: The PACE Fellowship Program is an experiential learning opportunity that provides AB 540 and CA Dream Act students the opportunity to gain skills that will prepare them for graduate school and career pathways. Students participating in the program can also receive a $1,000-2,000 scholarship. There are two versions of the PACE Fellowship program: PACE and PACE Lite. Learn more about each version in more detail at the PACE Fellowship Hub

Who: Students applying must (1) be AB540 classified and (2) have a CA Dream Act application on file. We highly recommend students without DACA to apply to be part of the PACE Fellowship programs. 

When: Applications for PACE open every summer and students participate during the Fall, Winter, and Spring quarters. 

Stay up to date on PACE deadlines and announcements via our newsletter or social media platforms!

Yes! Food Program

What: The Yes! Food Program was created by Undocumented Student Services with the support of the Basic Need Hub to offer undergraduate and graduate students e-gift cards to popular grocery stores, food delivery services, and restaurants. Program support ranges from $50-200 monthly and it is sent directly to the student. Neither eligibility for financial aid nor financial aid awards are affected by this program. Learn more about Yes! Food Program in more detail at here

Who: Students applying must (1) have AB540 status and have a CA Dream Act application on file and (2) be enrolled in classes at UC San Diego while seeking and receiving program support.

Note: During the summer, eligibility #2 is waived for students who took classes in the spring quarter and are enrolled for the fall quarter.

When: Eligible students may complete an application at any time to begin receiving support and may reapply monthly to continue to receive the support. Alternatively, if the student completes an application and meets with the USS program manager or program coordinator, they are automatically eligible for three consecutive months of program support.

How to Apply: Please fill out the Yes! Food Program Application Form.

Stay up to date on Yes! Food program and announcements via our newsletter or social media platforms!

Other Programs